Seamus Lavin, Partner
Seamus Lavin joined Wetzel Gagliardi & Fetter LLC in 2014.
Seamus has been representing individuals, families and businesses in a variety of transactional and litigation settings for over a decade.
Seamus assists clients in the acquisition, protection and transfer of wealth. He achieves these goals by means of effective estate planning, business formation, the purchase and sale of businesses, real estate management, contract negotiation, and the efficient resolution of unavoidable litigation. He also represents clients in business, family law and orphans court litigation. Seamus acts as outside general counsel to many of his small and medium sized business clients. His estate planning services emphasis the use of in-depth consultations which enable him to create and implement estate plans tailored to each client’s specific needs and goals. He also guides clients through the estate administration process, and, in the event litigation arises, advises and represents them in trusts and estate litigation. His emphasis on the use of in-depth consultations enables him to implement estate plans tailored to each client’s specific needs and goals. He also guides clients through the estate administration, probate and wills and trusts litigation processes.
Seamus regularly assists clients through the difficulties inherent in the divorce, custody and child / spousal support processes. His goal is to ensure a fair result in the most cost effective and efficient manner possible. He counsels his clients that as emotional a process as family separations generally become, neither side wins when either party focuses on retribution or retaliation rather than co-parenting and the give and take that divorce and custody inevitably entails.
Philadelphia Magazine and Law and Politics Magazine have selected Seamus as a Pennsylvania “Rising Star” in 2008 and 2010 through 2012. In 2012 Main Line Magazine selected Seamus as a “top lawyer” in the areas of Trusts, Wills and Estates, Divorce and Separation, Elder Law, and Family Law.
As a solicitor for the Chester County Department of Aging Services, Mr. Lavin assists the Department in their goal of protecting older adult population from abuse and neglect and advises Agency on the provision of services to older adults in Chester County.
- Preparation of estate planning documents, including wills and trusts, powers of attorney, living wills, ILITs, charitable trusts
- Special needs trusts
- Charitable planning
- Emphasis collaboration, preservation of family unity, maximization of family wealth and minimization of taxes and other estate expenses
Estate and Trust / Orphan’s Court Litigation:
- Will contests
- Name changes
- Fiduciary litigation
- Trust dissolutions
Business and Commercial Transactions:
- Business formation guidance and proper entity selection
- Implementation of appropriate corporate governance and compliance measures
- Contract review and preparation
- Structure, negotiate and review commercial transactions including the sale or purchase of businesses and real estate
- Implementation of litigation avoidance strategies and compliance with all federal, state and local law
- Business succession planning
- Child support
- Protection from abuse
- Probate and guardianship litigation
- Commercial litigation and contract disputes
- Real estate disputes
- Collection matters
- Loyola University
- Rutgers University School of Law
- Villanova Law School - Estate Planning Certification; Master of Law (LLM) in Taxation – May 2015
- Pennsylvania and Chester County Bar Association
- Member: Chester County Bar Association Judicial Evaluation Committee
- Member: PA and Chester County Estates and Trusts and Business Law Sections
- President of The Chester County Bar Association Young Lawyers Division: 2007
- Member: Knights of Columbus – Saint Maximillian Kolbe Chapter
- Member: West Chester Salvation Army Advisory Committee
- Volunteer free legal services to low income clients of the Chester County “Access to Justice Program”
- Member of Exton Station Railway Square Homeowners Association- 2004 – 2009
- Member of the West Chester Exchange Club
- New Jersey
- Pennsylvania State Courts
- U.S. District Court, Eastern Districts of Pennsylvania